Sep 11, 2008

My Name is Nathan Ryder, from Nelson, NZ. At the moment I am living in Whistler, Canada. Recently I competed in a down hill race here over here and I thought I would share my experience with you…

Well we set off on our tour to go take over Sun Peaks and do the final round of the Canadian Cup . Rueben Miller, Hayden Mckay and myself. It was my first riding road trip since I have been in Canada. I was super excited about it gettingto ride new tracks and see some different towns and scenery in BC.

We arrived into kamloops around 11 pm and stayed at a motel called ‘Ryders Inn’ which might i add had a adult channel so we had to get that one haha. Next morning we were up and ready to go to Sun Peaks. so so amped to go hit the mountain up.It was a big rush to go get our lift ticket so we could go play. First run down the hill and we had all decided that this was the best riding ever! Nice flowy tracks, big jumps, berms, sick as technical and the nicest dirt to get the mean as drifts going!


Any way next day was practice day for the race. We signed in and were ready 2 roll. We had walked the race track the night before and spyed some lines out and boy was this track sick super taped out! The best track in Canada in my opinion!!!!!we did runs of the track all day then went out for the mean as feed at the restaurant at the bottom of the hill. Then up to our sweet pad for a spa and a few Heinekens (our race prep for the next day…has to be done!).


Race day came round and it was looking good the weather held off for a dry track.My race set off well I was a bit nervous but got the top part of the track great and probably pushed it a bit much coming down this fast bit. I hit a big hole and blew my hand and foot off and smashed through the tape and a pole to stop on a flat bit. I got going and finished the rest of my run tapped to end up 10th in senior. maybe with out my crash it would have been a even better result but I was still happy as with it. Rueben ended up 10th and Hayden 21st in pro men. All and all such a good long weekend away and on our way home we got someriding done in kamloops which was sick as too.By Nathan Ryder

No comments: